Daniel

I would describe myself as being gay or homosexual. I’ve always known I was gay, but didn’t first tell anyone until I was 15. When I was about 19 I told my friends and family, so that’s when I’d say that I became gay or socially out. Once I said it to myself, I thought “God, this is the best thing I’ve done in my whole life” and it was just a relief. I didn’t care if people did or didn’t like it because I knew that I loved it and so I was happy with that. My family were fantastic about it. Just amazing; all of them.

The first reaction at work was “Oh my God!” I was a cabinet maker at the time and I turned up to work not realising I had a full face of makeup on from the night before. I ran into the old work shed and everyone just stopped and looked at me, and I thought, “Well, I’ve told you.” But they all coped with it and they all thought it was quite funny. I got the day off though…

My current work place is fantastic. It’s a really good drawing point for selling. I find that it’s quite accepted. It’s not that they lead a sheltered life, I just don’t think they’ve been exposed to a lot of gay people up close so I think I’ve been quite a good learning curve for them, and if anything, they’ve been really supportive about it.

I suppose my sexuality gives me a broader understanding of other people’s ideas and views on life as well. I don’t begrudge people their sexuality and can empathise with other people in minority groups. To me, it’s whether you’re a good person, and whether you like being the person you are, and whether other people like you for the person you are as well.

I’ve never picked up a bible and I don’t believe religion has any bearing on my life, but I do believe in spirituality. I believe there’s got to be something out there, but unless you can actually show it to me, then I don’t know what it is. I don’t shun people for what they believe in, or for their religion, so long as they don’t force it on me. I think you’re born the way you are.

I love being gay. I wouldn’t change it for anything in the whole world. I believe that it’s opened me up to be the person I am now. When I was younger I didn’t feel that I had much of an outlook on life. I didn’t really know who I was or what I wanted to do, or where I was going or what was out there. Since coming out and hitting the scene, I think it’s broadened my horizons to make me be an open-minded, happy kind of person.

95% of the time I see myself as being a very happy person; positive, a good outlook and more than happy to be friendly and outgoing, and help people, and strive to make other people happy. The other 5% would be the Gemini side of me that turns very quickly and will throw my hands in the air and go “Oh my God! That’s it!” Most of the time I don’t dig too deep into things. I like to be happy and positive. That’s how I see myself most of the time.

Posted

Video stills
Daniel, video stills
Video stills

I first suspected I was gay in my teen years, although I never acted upon it. I came out when I was 21. I lost a lot of friends at that time but I made up for it by making new ones.

I come from one of those families that didn’t deal with an alternative sexuality to the heterosexual...

Keep Reading...

Video stills

I prefer to say my sexuality is bent rather than queer. The only reason I don’t say queer, although I do identify as queer, is because I don’t really identify with mainstream queer culture.

When I was 12, there was a girl in my school, and every time I saw her at the corner store...

Keep Reading...

Video stills

The first word that comes into my head; sensual, and the best way I explore that is with another woman. It started early on in terms of insights and awareness of my own body, but labels and what society calls it would have been in secondary school. I was about 27 when I came out. It was so...

Keep Reading...

Video stills

I suppose because I’m with a woman at the moment, I’d describe myself as a lesbian, but I like that whole idea of describing myself as fluid, and I don’t like being put in a box; I never have. I was with a man before, so some people might call me bisexual. Personally, I’d rather describe...

Keep Reading...

Video stills

I would describe myself as being gay or homosexual. I’ve always known I was gay, but didn’t first tell anyone until I was 15. When I was about 19 I told my friends and family, so that’s when I’d say that I became gay or socially out. Once I said it to myself, I thought “God, this is...

Keep Reading...

Video stills

Well I’ve known for a long time that I like men. I’m definitely a ‘men’ person but I had a weird experience two months ago with a girl… I could have gone there if I wanted to but it was bizarre. For 36 years I thought I was gay and then to be confronted with this girl, and...

Keep Reading...

← Older Newer →